Prayer for Priests
(Prayed daily by St. Therese)
On entering the convent, Therese was asked to state the reasons why she chose the life of Carmel. Her answer was couched in simple though meaningful words: “I have come to save souls and especially to pray for priests.” Therese, needed no one to tell her of the dignity and the responsibility of the priesthood. The Holy Ghost had secretly instructed her in this important lesson. She saw that by praying for one priest, she could benefit thousands of souls to whom that priest would minister. She had learned on her trip to Rome that priests were human and subject to temptations as are other mortals. She perceived that Satan is especially anxious to bring about the ruin of a priest because the priest never falls alone, but drags thousands of other souls with him to perdition. It was equally evident to her that the good priest was a source of special joy to the Sacred Heart of Christ. By praying for priests, she would be multiplying the number of souls that she might offer to sate the Thirst of Christ. She had something real, something definite, something noble, something far-reaching and far-embracing for which to pray and suffer.
(THE LIFE OF THE LITTLE FLOWER BY REV. ALBERT M. HUTTING, Imprimatur: MOST REVEREND EDWARD MOONEY
Archbishop of Detroit July 8, 1941)
O Almighty Eternal God, Look upon the face of Thy Christ, and for the love of Him, Who is the Eternal High Priest, have pity on Thy priests. Remember, O most compassionate God, that they are but weak and frail human beings. Stir up in them the grace of their vocation which is in them by the imposition of the Bishop’s hands. Keep them close to Thee, lest the enemy prevail against them, so that they may never do anything in the slightest degree unworthy of their sublime vocation.
O Jesus, I pray to Thee, for Thy faithful and fervent priests; for Thy unfaithful and tepid priests; for Thy priests laboring at home or abroad in distant mission fields; for Thy tempted priests, for Thy lonely and desolate priests; for Thy young priests; for Thy aged priests; for Thy sick priests; for Thy dying priests; for the souls of Thy priests in purgatory.
But above all, I commend to Thee the priests dearest to me: the priest who baptized me; the priests who absolved me from my sins; the priests at whose Masses I assisted and who gave me Thy Body and Blood in Holy Communion; the priests who taught and instructed me or helped and encouraged me; all the priests to whom I am indebted in any other way, particularly [name a particular priest of your choosing here]. O Jesus, keep them all close to Thy heart, and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity. Amen.
The Daily Prayer For Priests
(St. Therese of the Child Jesus)
St. Therese told her sister, Celine, “Let us live for souls, let us be apostles, let us save above all the souls of priests… let us pray and suffer for them and on the last day Jesus will be grateful!”
[St. Therese of Lisieux, Letter 94]
O Jesus, I pray for Thy faithful and fervent Priests;
for Thy unfaithful and tepid Priests;
for Thy priests laboring at home or abroad in distant mission fields.
for Thy tempted Priests;
for Thy lonely and desolate Priest
for Thy young Priests;
for Thy dying Priests;
for the souls of Thy Priests in Purgatory.
But above all, I recommend to Thee the Priests dearest to me:
the Priest who baptized me;
the Priests who absolved me from my sins;
the Priests at whose Masses I assisted and who gave me Thy Body and Blood in Holy Communion;
the Priests who taught and instructed me;
all the Priests to whom I am indebted in any other way (especially …).
O Jesus, keep them all close to Thy heart,
and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity. Amen.
Holy Face Prayer For Priests
The Priest is the Face of Christ to us!
“Eternal Father, we offer Thee, with the hands of Mary, the Holy Face of Jesus, Thy Son, and the entire generous holocaust of all that we are, in reparation for so many sins that are committed, and, especially, for offenses against the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. We make this offering, in a particular way, so that Priests, by the holiness of their lives, may show the world the adorable features of the Divine Countenance shining with the light of truth and love, for the triumph of the Church, and for the spread of the Kingdom.” (Bl. Mother Maria Pierina De Micheli)
“Rejoice, My Daughter, because the hour approaches when the most beautiful work under the sun will be born.”
Our Lord To Sister Mary of St. Peter
PROMISES OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
Revelations to Sr. Mary of St. Peter,
Discalced Carmelite Nun of Tours, France, in favor of those who honor His Holy Face. Details of these revelations are found in the book named The Golden Arrow (the autobiography of Sister Mary of St. Peter)
1. By offering My Face to My Eternal Father, nothing will be refused, and the conversion of many sinners will be obtained.
2. By My Holy Face, they will work wonders, appease the anger of God and draw down mercy on sinners.
3. All those who honor My Face in a spirit of reparation will by so doing perform the office of the pious Veronica.
4. According to the care they take in making reparation to My Face disfigured by blasphemers, so will I take care of their souls which have been disfigured by sin. My Face is the Seal of the Divinity, which has the virtue of reproducing in souls the image of God.
5. Those who by words, prayers or writings defend My cause in the Work of Reparation, especially My priests, I will defend before My Father, and will give them My Kingdom.
6. As in a kingdom they can procure all that is desired with a coin stamped with the King’s effigy, so in the Kingdom of Heaven they will obtain all they desire with the precious coin of My Holy Face.
7. Those who on earth contemplate the wounds of My Face shall in Heaven behold it radiant with glory.
8. They will receive in their souls a bright and constant irradiation of My Divinity, that by their likeness to My Face they shall shine with particular splendor in Heaven.
9. I will defend them, I will preserve them and I assure them of Final Perseverance.